UNITED NATIONS RELIEF AND WORKS AGENCY
FOR PALESTINE REFUGEES IN THE NEAR EAST
UNRWA is a United Nations agency established by the General Assembly in 1949 and is mandated to provide assistance and protection to a population of some 5 million registered Palestine refugees. Its mission is to help Palestine refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and the Gaza Strip to achieve their full potential in human development, pending a just solution to their plight. UNRWA’s services encompass education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance. UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions. For its local team, UNRWA is seeking to employ a qualified:
Engineering Support Officer
Candidates having previously applied need not to re-apply
Vacancy Announcement Number
Limited Duration Contract (1 year)
Deadline for Applications
06 July 2013
HQ Amman, Jordan
The incumbent is responsible to Deputy Director and Head Camp Improvement Unit.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare construction cost estimates for feasibility studies and concept designs related to shelter, housing, camp upgrading and infrastructure for different development options and advises the HHCID accordingly;
- Participate in the training of Field staff on the assessment criteria and identification of interventions and measures; participate in the preparation and training of the Field staff on standard structural design and detailing for shelters;
- Compare costs of shelter/housing activities implemented under the Camp Improvement Programme with similar programmes in the host countries/other UN Agencies, NGO’s etc;
- Carry out cost control studies on the shelter/housing, designs against standards and building specifications, and advise supervisor on the most cost effective designs;
- Participate in the development of assessment criteria of shelters with regard to structural safety under the technical supervision of the Senior Structural Engineer;
- Review and update specifications and standards related to shelter construction.
Professional Knowledge and Experience
- A university degree in civil engineering;
- Formal training in computer applications related to quantity surveying and structural design;
- Three years post graduate experience of which 2 years in structural design and preferably experience in quantity surveying and site supervision;
- Experience in utilizing structural and quantity surveying software (billing, estimating, cost control, cash flow, etc.);
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Keeping abreast of knowledge in methods of construction and materials in the Middle East;
- Ability to operate computer software such as MS Word, Excel;
- Excellent technical English writing skills;
- Knowledge of market prices related to his/her line of work in the Middle East;
- Ability to work under pressure.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, the Director of Human Resources in consultation with the Director of Administrative Support may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualification, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience. NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
Conditions of Service
This Limited Duration Contract (LDC) is for one year. Monthly basic salary starts from JD 816.50 depending on the professional knowledge and experience. Other benefits include compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, and dependency allowance (if applicable).
How to Apply
Applicants are required to register at بعد التسجيل عليك الرد بكلمة شكرا وعمل refresh للصفحة لرؤية المحتوى في المشاركة الاولى by creating a personal profile and completing an UNRWA Personal History Form. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through بعد التسجيل عليك الرد بكلمة شكرا وعمل refresh للصفحة لرؤية المحتوى في المشاركة الاولى will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.
Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile is accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or interview will only be contacted by e-mail. No follow up phone calls will be made.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women. UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non- smoking work environment.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
Date of issue: 23 June 2013/TAH
أشهد ان لا اله الا الله .. وأن محمدا رسول الله
الذين يشاهدون الموضوع الآن: 1 (0 من الأعضاء و 1 زائر)