UNRWA is a United Nations agency established by the General Assembly in 1949 and is mandated to provide assistance and protection to a population of some 5 million registered Palestine refugees. Its mission is to help Palestine refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and the Gaza Strip to achieve their full potential in human development, pending a just solution to their plight. UNRWA’s services encompass education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance. UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions. For its local team, UNRWA is seeking to employ a qualified:
Head, Research and Development Unit
Vacancy Announcement Number 13-AR-AM-48 Grade 18 Deadline for Applications 28 July 2013 Duty Station HQ Amman, Jordan
The incumbent of this post is responsible to the Director of Education. In accordance with Agency policy and procedures, the incumbent:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide leadership for the Research and Development Unit and set direction for the Unit’s activities, plans, priorities, and workflows; establish, revise and oversee the implementation of policies, strategies, procedures and technical instructions to improve awareness of the researches; manage the budget envelope for the Research and Development Unit;
· Establish key information needs for management of the implementation of the education programme prioritizing including student and teacher information, school administration/building and standardized education management reports; assesses existing ICT and performance in schools and mapped to minimum EMIS requirements; prepare project proposals to implement an Agency-wide EMIS; oversee the implementation of EMIS system and develop capacity; ensure that EMIS provides information for all levels in the education programme enabling informed decision making;
· Manage and conduct training on research methods including preparing proposals, abstracts, data analysis and building research tools for the Education Department at HQ (A) and Fields; organize conferences related to the Unit; monitor, evaluate and develop the implementation of the Unit’s training programmes; present UNRWA in local and international conferences;
· In coordination with other units, establish and implement necessary communication strategy for the improvement and awareness of Research and Development and Online Information Services Sections' issues; develop and implement quality managements strategy including resources, systems, timescales, financial to contribute to the department's plans and Medium Term Strategy (MTS);
· Conduct tracer studies, trends analysis and qualitative and quantitative researches in both general education and Technical and vocational education and training and proposes new research topics for ESFs and Field staff members; provide UNRWA Education Institutions with the latest ideas and researches conducted by other institutions at local level, regional level and international level; conduct orientation sessions on research methods and trends; periodically publish the researches produced;
· In coordination with Partnership and Information & Communication Technology Unit, identify and promote successful and quality partnerships including international, regional and local in order to strengthen the interrelation with other UNRWA Departments and enhance coordination on Agency cross-cutting issues;
· Prepare project proposals related to Agency wide online library services; manage the online library system and build capacity for effective operationalisation of the facility.
Professional Knowledge and Experience
· Advanced university degree from an accredited educational institution in measurement and evaluation or educational or any related field;
· At least eight years’ experience in an administrative /supervisory capacity in a relevant educational institution at senior level of which a minimum of four years should be in research and development at senior educational level;
· Excellent command of spoken and written English and Arabic.
· Ability to represent the unit/department at local and international events;
· Ability to work with a diversity of stakeholders both internal and external;
· Ability to initiate creative ideas to enhance the section’s service or to introduce new services or products;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in a team oriented environment;
· Ability to work under pressure and meet target deadlines;
· Ability to identify and deal with issues proactively and persistently; seizing opportunities that arise;
· Ability to lead teams; good skills in problem solving and decision making;
· Competence in conducting research;
· Excellent communication skills both verbal and written;
· Ability to use the standard PC applications used by the Agency.
· Ph.D in measurement and evaluation or educational administration or in one of the subjects related to the section roles and responsibilities;
· Knowledge of modern techniques in education;
· Knowledge of modern educational systems of other countries, especially those of the Arab states;
· Knowledge of basic project management skills.
The incumbent may be required to travel frequently in UNRWA’s area of operations.
When the minimum requirements are not fully met, Field Director for Field Area staff and Director of Human Resources for Headquarters Area staff, in consultation with the concerned supervisor may exceptionally substitute part of the unmet requirements with a combination of relevant academic qualifications, additional professional training and progressive relevant work experience.
NB: Work experience alone or formal qualifications with no relevant work experience are not considered an acceptable combination.
Conditions of Service
The fixed term appointment is for 3 years including 1 year probation period. Monthly basic salary starting at JD 1176.60 plus Senior Professional Officer Allowance of 69.90% from the basic salary.Other benefits include monthly Provident Fund contribution (15% of basic salary paid by the Agency), compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, and dependency allowance (if applicable).
How to Apply
Applicants are required to register at بعد التسجيل عليك الرد بكلمة شكرا وعمل refresh للصفحة لرؤية المحتوى في المشاركة الاولى by creating a personal profile and completing an UNRWA Personal History Form. Please note that UNRWA only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through بعد التسجيل عليك الرد بكلمة شكرا وعمل refresh للصفحة لرؤية المحتوى في المشاركة الاولى will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.
Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile is accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or interview will only be contacted by e-mail. No follow up phone calls will be made.
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified and experienced women. UNRWA welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. First priority will be given to fully qualified staff members; second priority to fully qualified external Palestine refugee applicants. As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for human rights, for diversity, and for non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non- smoking work environment.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
Date of issue: 15 July 2013/TAH
أشهد ان لا اله الا الله .. وأن محمدا رسول الله
الذين يشاهدون الموضوع الآن: 1 (0 من الأعضاء و 1 زائر)